Search The Hippocampus

Saturday 23 June 2012

Food for Thought: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Yummy Blueberry Sauce


Thank God there is no one else in this lab with me.
If there was, then I would have to pretend that the guttural torture cries coming from my stomach..weren't really happening. Thankfully, for now I am alone; and if I can ration out these after-dinner mints I found in my purse for two more hours until I get off work; then I can finally get home and have Breakfast for Dinner! In the form of yummy lemon ricotta pancakes with Blueberry sauce :)


Ingredients

For pancakes
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2tbsp sugar
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 lemon, zested and juiced
butter (for griddle)
11 oz of lemon curd (I usually make my own, but I am sure you can buy some at the grocer)
powdered sugar (for garnish)


Preheat a nonstick griddle
Combine flour, nutmeg, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a small bowl. Sift. Whisk together the cheese, eggs, milk, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients. This mixing is actually a critical step because it determines how light and fluffy your cakes turn out. Whisk too little and you have lumpy flat cakes; Whisk too much and you have thick cakes. I suggest whisking just until fully incorporated.
Brush the hot griddle with butter. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of mixture on griddle and cook on both sides until golden brown. 
Pour lemon curd into a small sauce pan and warm over low heat. Drizzle a few tablespoons over pancakes; sprinkle powdered sugar for garnish. 


For blueberry sauce
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
1tbsp sugar
1/2 cup water
1tbsp water
1/2 lemon, zested
1tbsp cornstarch
2tbsp lemon juice

In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine blueberries; 1/4 cup sugar plus 1tbsp sugar;  the lemon zest; and 1/2 cup of water. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer. DO NOT BOIL.  
In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch, 1 tbsp water and the lemon juice. Add to the berry mixture and stir until sauce is thickened to your tummy's desire (about five minutes) Serve to the side of pancakes, and drizzle a bit on top, but careful not to drown out the lemon curd. Enjoy. Believe me; you will.






No comments:

Post a Comment