Search The Hippocampus

Thursday 21 June 2012

Vitamin Profile: Bromelain

By now, most readers have probably deduced that I am pretty obsessed with my health. I know it sounds crazy, but I am one of those people who actually ENJOY working out at the gym (permission to internet-slap me, granted). I love the feeling of accomplishment I experience after completing a particularly grueling workout; and the endorphin rush doesn't much hurt my mentality either.

Anyway, along with keeping physically active, I also employ the services of vitamin/mineral supplements to bolster my health! Normally, I pledge my allegiance to the indie health stores in my city but last week Sunday, after returning from Dublin to find all my beloved indie stores closed, I decided to venture into the more mainstream GNC in the mall.

I was surprised to find that GNC carried a few of the same brands as my local stores! I entered expecting to only find a collection of protein whey shakes and body-building chemicals (sometimes harmful to your body, but that's a lesson for another post) but instead, I walked away with a handful of new products to try, most of which, so far, I am very happy with!

I'll be doing vitamin profiles on here from time to time, during which I update you on my current regimen additions, and give  brief info sessions on the pros and cons, side-effects, etc., of several nutritional supplements. Since I got a particularly interesting haul on Sunday, I'll start with one of the lesser known vitamins I acquired: BROMELAIN.

The bromelain was incorporated into a  papaya complete dietary supplement that I purchased. Each tablet provided 400,000 USP of papain and 20 GDU of bromelain; but since this post IS about bromelain, we'll let papain take a back seat for now.

So. Bromelain.

What is is?

Believe it or not, this little known supplement can be very beneficial to your health. Bromelain is a group of proteolytic enzymes found in the stem and juices of the pineapple fruit. When ingested after a meal, bromelain is believed to help with the breakdown of protein.

Now for the...

 FACTS ABOUT BROMELAIN:

--Bromelain can be used to alleviate the symptoms of colds, hayfever and asthma; and reduces excess mucous production. 

--It is also used to relieve coughing, congestion, and to clear respiratory passageways, thus improving breathing

--The German Commission E  approved bromelain in 1993 as a treatment for inflammation, bruising, and swelling of tissues post surgical procedures

--Bromelain  is a natural digestive aid, and breaks down proteins (helps with indigestion!)

--Phlogenzym is an arthritis medication that combines trypsin and rutin with bromelain; showing that the supplement may help alleviate mild pain associated with osteoarthritis, however, more research is needed to evaluate it's effectiveness in this area

--Bromelain contains chemicals that interfere with the growth of tumor cells, showing that it might combat cancer, but again, more research is needed in order to evaluate its effectiveness

USE CAUTION WHEN TAKING WITH:
amoxicillin
antibiotics
antiplatelet drugs
zinc
warfarin
heparin
clopidogrel bisulfate
ibuprofen
naproxen
garlic supplements
gingko biloba
chemotherapy drugs
high blood pressure medication
diazepam
narcotics
antidepressants
benzodiazepines lorazepam

FOODS THAT CONTAIN BROMELAIN:
pineapple
tnderized meat

Special Instructions: As a digestive aid, take one to three capsules with each (3) meal; for all other purposes, take on an empty stomach

POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS:
nausea, vomitting, diarrhea, menorrhagia (excessive mentrual flow), mild to severe allergic reactions, palpitations, indigestion, loss of appetite, muscle pain, dizziness, drowsiness, lethargy
AVOID IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO:
carrots, pineapple, celery, rye, papaya, birch or cypress pollen, certain grass or latex, fennel; or if you have a peptic ulcer

References
Bromelain
Jathar, Rutuja. Bromelain Side Effects. 26 Aug 2011 
Wong, Cathy. Bromelain--What You Need To Know. 30 Oct 2011
Medline Plus. Bromelain. 06 July 2011




No comments:

Post a Comment